The Biggest Mistake Made By Plastic Surgery Patients:
Not Choosing an Experienced Plastic Surgeon
Read about the pitfalls to cosmetic surgery and how to avoid mistakes to maximize your chances of having a successful cosmetic surgery result:
Avoid – Selecting a plastic surgery procedure solely on the COST
Instead – Remember – Your results stay with you for life!
- Not all Thousand Oaks plastic surgeons are created equal.
- Some plastic surgeons excel in their skills, achieving consistently excellent results that make people like yourself happy.
- While others never reach beyond mediocrity.
SEEK OUT EXCELLENCE
Don’t – Ignore your SAFETY
Instead – Search for a plastic surgeon with ”An Impeccable Safety Record”
- ASK about his or her record on safety.
- Make sure the facility’s operating room has accreditation by an agency recognized by the State of California.
- Make sure your plastic surgeon has “hospital privileges” to do the procedure you want him/her to perform on you.
DON’T IGNORE YOUR SAFETY
Don’t – Choose a Thousand Oaks plastic surgeon based on Social Media Reviews
Instead – Look for doctor with years of experience performing plastic surgery in Thousand Oaks
- A small number of reviews don’t tell the whole story of years of practicing plastic surgery.
- Since reviews are anonymous, negative competitor comments and illegitimate reviews are commonplace.
DON’T PICK A PLASTIC SURGERY BASED ON SOCIAL MEDIA REVIEWS – BUT RATHER EXPERIENCE
Avoid – BUYING A SURGICAL PROCEDURE you think you might need
Instead – Choose a Thousand Oaks plastic surgeon who will guide you to the best outcome
- I can’t tell you how many times people come in asking for a procedure that really won’t benefit them. Or they may say I only have this much to spend, so can we do this procedure instead.
- Don’t waste your money on some procedure that won’t give you the best results, unless there is a compromise procedure you can live with.
DON’T BUY A PROCEDURE THAT WON’T GIVE YOU THE BEST RESULTS
Avoid – Going to a LOCATION OR INSTITUTE NAME
Instead – Search out the “BEST” plastic surgeon in Thousand Oaks
- An Institute generally hires new doctors with less experience and pays them a salary. The Institute will then use marketing to get you to come to them.
- A “fictitious example” of an Institute: Beverly Hills Plastic Surgery Institute for Excellence in Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery
KNOW YOUR PLASTIC SURGEON – DON’T GO TO JUST ANYONE
Beware – The Cutting Edge Doctor, the only one in town skilled in this new way
Seek – ADVICE from a TOP plastic surgeon in Thousand Oaks for what is best for you
- In our community and around the country those doctors lacking good skills and credentials in cosmetic surgery gravitate towards the gimmick procedures. The cutting edge doctor will use advertising to lure you into some new procedure that only he/she can perform.
- Think about this: if a doctor is promoting some new procedure that has fantastic results, why wouldn’t all plastic surgeons be doing it. Is it really that difficult to learn?
IN MY PRACTICE I USE NEW INNOVATIONS WHEN THEY WORK AND LEAVE THE OTHERS FOR THE SO CALLED CUTTING EDGE DOCTOR TO DABBLE WITH
Don’t – GO OUT OF THE COUNTRY FOR PLASTIC SURGERY
Stay – In the USA, where sanitation, cleanliness, FDA approved meds are a priority
Having plastic surgery outside of the USA presents many risks, which include:
- Doctor credentialing, including training and schooling
- Higher risk of problems due to different requirements for sanitary conditions
- Should there be a problem, this might require an extended, costly stay outside the country
STAY IN A CLEAN AND SAFE ENVIRONMENT IN THE USA
Avoid – DABBLERS
Dabblers – Are non-plastic surgeons who “Dabble” in cosmetic surgery
- Dabblers are doctors who never were trained in plastic surgery and it’s sub-specialty, cosmetic surgery
- Dabblers only know how to do a few procedures and most of the time not well.
FIND AN EXCELLENT, FULLY TRAINED THOUSAND OAKS PLASTIC SURGEON WHO IS WELL VERSED IN COSMETIC SURGERY
Avoid – Choosing a cosmetic surgeon and not a PLASTIC SURGEON
Only – PLASTIC SURGEONS are trained from “day 1″ in cosmetic surgery
- Plastic surgeons are trained to perform ALL cosmetic surgery procedures.
ANY DOCTOR WHO HAS COMPLETED MEDICAL SCHOOL and without formal training in these types of surgery CAN CALL THEMSELVES A COSMETIC SURGEON.
Examples of NON-plastic surgeons in Thousand Oaks who have dabbled in cosmetic surgery and have called themselves a cosmetic surgeon:
- Industrial Medicine Doctor
- Emergency Medicine Doctor
- Family Practitioner
- Ear, Nose & Throat Surgeon
Avoid – Selecting a BOARD CERTIFIED SURGEON not recognized by ABMS
Instead – Look for credentials from The AMERICAN BOARD OF PLASTIC SURGERY
- The AMERICAN BOARD OF PLASTIC SURGERY is the only certifying board guaranteeing you will get a plastic surgeon trained in all aspects of cosmetic surgery
- The AMERICAN BOARD OF COSMETIC SURGERY is an example of a Board that IS NOT RECOGNIZED by the State of California or the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS)
- The American Board of Cosmetic Surgery was created for those “Specialties other than plastic surgery” who wanted to advertise they were Board Certified, but lacked the credentials of a plastic surgeon
FIND A FULLY TRAINED PLASTIC SURGEON IN THOUSAND OAKS – CERTIFIED BY THE AMERICAN BOARD OF PLASTIC SURGERY
Avoid – Seeking out a COSMETIC SURGERY TECHNIQUE or TOOL
Instead – Go to an EXCELLENT PLASTIC SURGEON and you will get the best technique
- A GREAT plastic surgeon will use whatever technique gets him/her consistently excellent results.
- Make sure the facility has accreditation by an agency recognized by the State of California.
- Examples of techniques with no importance:
- Quick Lift
- Tumescent Liposuction
DON’T FORGET – CHOOSING THE RIGHT THOUSAND OAKS PLASTIC SURGEON IS THE #1 MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR FOR YOUR SUCCESSFUL OUTCOME
Avoid – Requesting a Cosmetic Procedure YOU SAW ON TV or THE INTERNET
Instead – Find a SKILLED & COMPETENT plastic surgeon
- Cosmetic procedures seen on TV are for ratings and not necessarily what’s best for you
- If most plastic surgeons don’t do a certain new procedure it’s because it isn’t very good and probably a fad
- Examples of poor cosmetic surgical procedures and fads
- Thread Face Lift or Feather Face Lift
CHOOSING A SKILLED PLASTIC SURGEON IN THOUSAND OAKS WILL GUARANTEE YOU WILL GET THE RIGHT SURGICAL PROCEDURE FOR YOU
Avoid – Answering an ADVERTISEMENT
Instead – Find a SKILLED & COMPETENT Plastic Surgeon
- Ads are for marketing and tell you nothing about the judgment or excellence of the plastic surgeon
GET TO KNOW YOUR PLASTIC SURGEON
Avoid – The doctor who “CLAIMS EXPERTISE IN ONLY ONE PROCEDURE”
Instead – Look for a PLASTIC SURGEON who performs MULTIPLE PROCEDURES
- A doctor tells you they are an “EXPERT IN THIS PROCEDURE” because it is the “ONLY PROCEDURE THEY DO”
- This may mean a partially trained surgeon, who cannot perform other alternative procedures which might give you a better result
SELECT A WELL TRAINED PLASTIC SURGEON WHO CAN DRAW FROM A GREAT DEAL OF EXPERIENCE
Avoid – Internet Web sites that GRADE PLASTIC SURGEONS
Instead – Understand most WEBSITES REQUIRE A FEE from the plastic surgeon
- These web sites rely on information given by anonymous sources
- People have been known to give false information to discredit or enhance a plastic surgeon’s status
WEBSITES THAT GRADE PLASTIC SURGEONS HAVE VERY LITTLE VALUE
Avoid – A TRAVELING DOCTOR – who may come to the area a FEW DAYS A WEEK
Instead – Search for a BUSY THOUSAND OAKS PLASTIC SURGEON who stays in the area
- Typically this means the doctor is not busy enough in his/her own area
- Busy plastic surgeons don’t want to waste time traveling to other areas
A TRAVELING DOCTOR MAY NOT BE A BUSY DOCTOR
Doctors and other businesses now have to fight pranks by SPAMMERS who get onto websites and write negative comments. Be careful not to judge any doctor or other healthcare professional by a small number of reviews that try to negate thousands of happy patients.
Thousand Oaks plastic surgery patients trust Dr. Costanzo as a skilled plastic surgeon who provides consistently great results. See if Dr. Costanzo is right for you too: call us at (805) 373-991 today.