One of the main reasons why women get breast augmentations is to have larger breasts. Some women may lose volume in their breasts after being pregnant or losing a significant amount of weight. This can lead to asymmetrical breasts and the desire for a change. There is no standard set of rules when it comes to breast augmentation since every patient’s wants and needs are different.
What Is a Breast Augmentation?
Breast augmentation is designed to enlarge the breasts, to create more symmetry and to enhance the appearance of the breasts. Most patients choose to have the procedure done because they’ve lost confidence in their appearance. Breast augmentation is one of the best ways for patients in Simi Valley to add balance to their body, as well as restore fullness in the breasts and have a higher self-image.
Ideal Breast Augmentation Candidates
There isn’t a typical or ideal candidate for breast augmentation. Since women get breast augmentation for various reasons, the common theme is women who want to enhance their appearance. There are guidelines which suggest you should be 22 years of age to get silicone implants, unless the surgeon feels that conditions warrant a silicone implant before that age. There are no age guidelines for performing surgery using saline breast implants. Visiting a plastic surgeon in Simi Valley is the first step to determine whether breast augmentation is right for any given patient.
Types of Available Breast Implants
Saline and silicone gel breast implants are the two main types surgeons use for the procedure. One of the most attractive components of breast augmentation is the ability to customize the patient’s appearance. The differences between saline and silicone gel implants are the shape, feel and overall appearance. Silicone implants are filled with silicone gel, while saline implants are filled with salt water. Neither type is necessarily better than the other, but here are some of the characteristics to consider:
- Feel – many patients believe silicone implants feel more like natural breasts compared to saline implants.
- Shape – both saline and silicone implants are a standard round shape that look like natural breasts. Although, teardrop-shaped implants are typically made of silicone.
- Size – patients have the choice to decide how large they want their breasts to be, and either silicone or saline will work to achieve the desired size.
- Profile – depending on the patient’s body size, a higher or lower profile implant may be required and does not depend on the type of implant.
How Breast Augmentation is Performed
The first thing patients have to do is meet with their cosmetic surgeon in Simi Valley for a full evaluation. Take this time to ask as many questions as possible and clearly define the ideal breasts you have envisioned. Once all parties are on the same page, the surgeon will then work to make incisions under the breasts in most cases. Sometimes the surgeon will make the incisions under the arms or around the nipples, depending on the type of implant the patient chooses and how large the implants will be. Then the surgeon will insert the breast implant into the pocket below or above the chest muscle and close up the incision area. Patients can expect the entire process to take up to a couple of hours and will need anesthesia during the procedure.
Types of Breast Augmentation Incisions
A common question many patients in Simi Valley have before their breast augmentation is if scars will be visible. The good news is with the techniques available today, combined with the work and steadiness of a qualified cosmetic surgeon, many incisions are barely visible. However, it’s still important to be familiar with the different types of incisions:
- Periareolar. This incision is made on the outside edge of the areola. If a smaller breast implant is being inserted, this is generally a good incision option. The scar is not highly visible since it is located on the natural pigmentation transition on the skin.
- Inframammary. This incision is the most common type, which is made under the breast. The thin scar is easily hidden under the breast and can be made wide enough for the surgeon to place large implants.
- Transaxillary. Patients who don’t want a scar on their breasts may opt for this incision type, which is made in the armpit. Special instruments and a camera are used with this type to place the implant perfectly. This incision is rarely used.
Recovery and Results
Most patients in Simi Valley are able to move around within a couple of hours following the breast augmentation procedure. Plastic surgeons generally advise patients to take it easy for a couple of days to ensure the incisions have time to heal. Strenuous exercise should be limited during the recovery phase, and it’s important to protect the breasts by wearing a proper fitted bra. Each patient recovers differently, so following the advice of the surgeon is essential.
The results of breast augmentation are immediately evident following the procedure. However, due to various circumstances including weight gain, weight loss, another pregnancy and other factors, breast sizes can change over time. Still, the results of breast augmentation should last for many years without having to make significant alterations.
Choosing a Qualified Breast Augmentation Surgeon
The most important thing any patient in Simi Valley can do is to take the time to find a qualified plastic surgeon who listens and performs great breast augmentations. Look for a surgeon who has not only performed a significant amount of procedures but also ensures they’ve done a procedure similar to the specific outcome desired. Ask for before and after photos, and you should always feel comfortable when speaking with the surgeon.
Dr. Christopher Costanzo has more than 32 years of experience and has performed over 5,000 breast augmentations in his career. When patients speak with him at their initial consultation, they walk away understanding why he is known as one of the best cosmetic surgeons in Simi Valley.
To set up your initial consultation and learn more about whether breast augmentation is right for you, contact Dr. Costanzo today.