With 29 years of experience performing eyelid surgery, Dr. Costanzo has gained expertise in various approaches to the procedure. Over time, he has adopted certain methods that he has found provide the best results.
Learn about some of the different surgical techniques he may use in your treatment and the benefits that each offers.
Upper Eyelid Surgery
In a typical upper eyelid surgery:
- Dr. Costanzo removes excess skin and bulging fat so that the eyes appear more youthful and less wrinkly.
- If the patient’s eyebrows are properly arched and the outside of the eyelids are not sagging, then he may only perform upper eyelid surgery.
- If this is not the case, he will recommend combining eyelid surgery with a brow lift to create a more natural and aesthetically pleasing appearance.
Lower Eyelid Surgery
In a lower eyelid surgery, Dr. Costanzo tightens loose skin and removes the bags from underneath your eyes. He repositions the fat pads within the lower eyelid so that they fill in hollow areas, decrease puffiness, and create a younger and more rested appearance.
Typically, he will use one of two incisions:
- Subciliary. This incision begins just under the eyelid lashes and generally helps in removing excess eyelid skin.
- Transconjunctival. Dr. Costanzo performs this incision by tipping the lower eyelid downward and entering within the eyelid conjunctiva.
Lifting the Cheek Pad
Many Thousand Oaks eyelid surgery patients benefit from a minor mid-facelift as part of their procedure. If you have hollowness around your outer lower eyelid, lifting the cheek pads—along with lower eyelid surgery—can significantly improve your results.
Dr. Costanzo has expertise in several techniques. Typically, he uses a temporal incision and an Endotine bioabsorbable anchor to lift the cheek. These anchors provide great support during the healing period and eventually dissolve away, just like a suture. Dr. Costanzo recommends this approach when signs of aging in the mid-face begin early (in the late 30s and early 40s.)
Certain Thousand Oaks eyelid surgery patients are more likely to benefit from a facelift than from blepharoplasty or a mid-facelift. Others can achieve significant improvement in the youthfulness of their appearance with more minor procedures. Schedule an initial consultation with Dr. Costanzo to talk with him about your options.
Thousand Oaks eye lid surgery patients can reach Dr. Christopher Costanzo by calling 805-373-9919 or contacting us online.